The Hands-on "Business Intelligence"
Gathering Business and Competitive
Intelligence for Real-time Problem Solving
What Benefits Does IntelliBooster
Bring to the Company?
- IntelliBoosterTM helps boost market penetration and response
as well as competition monitoring.
- IntelliBoosterTM helps find market and technical information
using Internet and Extranets.
- IntelliBoosterTM is the tool for market surveys and research
as well as for technology watch.
- IntelliBoosterTM helps gathering useful information on
clients to better focus on their needs.
- IntelliBoosterTM allows to quickly source or identify
qualified specialized resources.
Who Should Attend IntelliBooster
Any person who wants to learn how to quickly
find the relevant information she needs. Busy executives,
marketers and salespeople who want to find out all available
information on their clients, markets or competitors. Financial
analysts who want to gather more pertinent information on
the markets and companies they monitor. R&D and technical
experts who need to find information on alternative or complementing
technologies as well as on potential applications. Research
assistants who need to quickly spot the hard-to-find information.
Topics and duration are adapted to the course
sponsor's objectives, including:
- Understanding what can and what cannot be found on the
- Using effective search techniques and methodology to find
pertinent information, while avoiding irrelevant data overload
- Finding the right source of information (Internet and
- Locating and learning about experts, companies, people,
strategic or commercial partners, technologies, documents,
- Hands-on practice of tools to find, filter, gather and
Prof. Jacob Bar, founder and former manager of
the data gathering and analysis unit of the Israeli Industry
Center for R&D (MATIMOP), a public, non-profit organization
devoted to the commercialization of new technology originating
from the Israeli high-tech industry. As one of the pioneers
of online industry services and the Internet in Israel, he
is responsible for training hundreds of "online researchers"
in Israel and around the world in business and competitive
intelligence. Jacob Bar currently works as advisor to the
office of the Chief Scientist of the Israeli Ministry of Trade
and Industry. He also assists industrial companies and other
organizations in the search for solutions to R&D, production
and marketing problems.
A Practical Workshop For Entrepreneurs
"Using the Internet
and the Extranet as Tools for Business Intelligence Gathering"
If you succeed in solving the following problems
in less than 1 hour,
you probably don't need to attend the workshop...
Please solve the following seven
information problems to your best of knowledge and experience.
You have to find the answers from one place (i.e.:
using one search engine/tools) and with minimal steps.
The correct answer to each problem
should contain the following items:
1. A brief description (4 lines max) of the solution methodology.
2. The search tools you have used in order to solve the problem
(name & URL).
3. The translation of the question to a Boolean query.
4. The first document from the search results.
The problem :
Tomorrow morning you need to submit a reliable, up to date
"Search Engines on the Internet".
What will you do? (besides refusing or running away to Australia)
1. I will look for an article coming from FAQ documents, dealing
with search engines on the net.
2. Search tool: Google, URL : www.google.com
3. Boolean query: "search engine" FAQ
4. The first search result :
The information problems you have to solve
1. You need to evaluate a revolutionary invention in the
Composite Materials field, for that reason you are requested
to consult with academic experts from Japan on the subject.
Find at least 5 experts for the subject from Japan (name,
e-mail address, place of work).
2. Prepare a review on the French insurance market with an
emphasis on distribution channels & market players.
3. You are the manager of "BUBU Technological Incubator"
which has a unique invention for the treatment and prevention
of type II diabetes. You want to collaborate with a well known
big pharmaceutical company which has a plan to develop, or
has already began to develop a product in the same field.
Please find the details of the most suitable company and the
most efficient and effective way to address the company so
you will get a positive reply.
4. You want to prepare a business plan and for that purpose,
you need to evaluate the global Wireless Internet Market.
Please find a free market research report on the subject.
The research should be in PDF format
5. Prepare a thorough review on the European pharmaceutical
6. Find an Internet search engine which will enable you to
reach a given website using one step (without knowing or typing
7. Locate (using 1 search tool, in 3 steps max) a list of
French companies which specialize in ceramic cutting tools
The answers to the questions above will be given to
you during the workshop